At the Northwest corner of the Point of Graves is the Vaughan Monument. It measures 96.5″ x 48″ x 51.5″ and is constructed of granite. On top is a marble replica of the original table stone that rested on the ground covering the Vaughan Tomb.
On August 19 and 20, 1884, the Vaughan Tomb was opened. A full description of the opening can be found in Reminiscences and Genealogical Record of the Vaughan Family of New Hampshire by George Enos Hodgdon, pages 104-108.
Twenty eight bodies in total were found when the tomb was opened. Seven of them were children… one infant, two between 5 and 8 years, and four young adults (over 8 and under 18). The infant can be identified by the inscription on the top tablet. She was the three day old daughter of Mary and George Vaughan. The other six children have not been identified.
Also y e Body’s of
Mary wife of Georg e
Vaughan Esq 1 Dau’t 1 ‘
of Andrew Belcher Es
q r who Dec d Feb ry 3 cl
1699 in y e 20 th year of he 1 ‘
Age & y e Dau’tr at 3 Days
old & wer e inter’ 1 togeth.